About the DRC UC Digital Projects UC Libraries University of Cincinnati Digital Resource Commons University of Cincinnati Digital Resource Commons

John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge

UC DRC Repository

NOTE: Account logins are currently disabled while this repository is migrated to new software. Content is still accessible. However, there may be periodic service interruptions.


John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.other MacKaron, Erissa, Photographer en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2009-01-22T21:27:19Z en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2012-05-16T19:50:17Z
dc.date.available 2009-01-22T21:27:19Z en_US
dc.date.available 2012-05-16T19:50:17Z
dc.date.created 1866 en_US
dc.date.issued 2009-01-22T21:27:19Z en_US
dc.identifier.other RSB-0135332 en_US
dc.identifier.other RSB-1135333 en_US
dc.identifier.other RSB-1235334 en_US
dc.identifier.other RSB-1935335 en_US
dc.identifier.other RSB-Barge-0135336 en_US
dc.identifier.other RSB-details-02a35337 en_US
dc.identifier.other RSB-details-0535338 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2374.UC/107 en_US
dc.description Originally named the Covington - Cincinnati Suspension Bridge, the bridge was renamed for its architect, John Augustus Roebling (1806-1869) in 1983. The same year the bridge was designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Construction began under Roebling in 1856. After numerous delays, the bridge opened to pedestrian traffic on December 2, 1866 and to vehicular traffic on New Years Day 1867. The bridge boasts a span of 1057 feet from tower to tower. These massive pylons are constructed of granite and rise 230 feet above the water. The pylon's rounded arches recall Romanesque design. The bridge's original construction called for cables, designed by Roebling, 12 1/3 inches in diameter. A second set of cables was added in 1895-1896 to support the weight of streetcar tracks. During this renovation the towers underwent some modification. The original balustrades and turrets were removed and replaced with rounded pier caps. Recent restoration to the bridge has restored the original features. Entrances to the bridge were raised and extended in 1916-1918. The original wooden roadway, which often caught fire due to oil spills, was replaced in the mid-1950s with the steel grid still present on the bridge today. The Roebling Suspension Bridge was painted blue in 1976 to commemorate Cincinnati's Bicentennial. And in 1984 lights were added to the bridge further highlighting it in the Cincinnati Skyline. en_US
dc.subject Architecture en_US
dc.title John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge en_US
dc.type Image en_US
dc.rights.holder University of Cincinnati en_US
dc.publisher.OLinstitution University of Cincinnati en_US
dc.rights.permissions World en_US

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
RSB-0135332.jp2 1.835Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
RSB-0135332.jpg 322.1Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-0135332_1024.jpg 142.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-1135333.jp2 1.844Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
RSB-1135333.jpg 426.1Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-1135333_1024.jpg 209.1Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-1235334.jp2 1.843Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
RSB-1235334.jpg 390.9Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-1235334_1024.jpg 196.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-1935335.jp2 1.829Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
RSB-1935335.jpg 279.3Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-1935335_1024.jpg 140.7Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-Barge-0135336.jp2 1.840Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
RSB-Barge-0135336.jpg 412.8Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-Barge-0135336_1024.jpg 210.7Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-details-02a35337.jp2 1.841Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
RSB-details-02a35337.jpg 328.0Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-details-02a35337_1024.jpg 163.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-details-0535338.jp2 1.818Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
RSB-details-0535338.jpg 252.1Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
RSB-details-0535338_1024.jpg 132.7Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search UC DRC


Advanced Search OhioLINK DRC:


My Account